Wednesday 29 April 2015

How motherhood will change you...

  1. You discover an inner strength you never knew you had.
    I pretty much found this out the second I gave birth to my son, by going through labour. After child birth (with just a paracetemol!) I felt like warrior who could take on anything. From the day your child is born you have to be strong for them and can get through almost anything.

  2. Life becomes magical again.
    Now that I have children I can enjoy the magic of Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny again. I love that my children wake up and everyday is so exciting, full of new experiences and discoveries. When we were recently on holiday I watched my boys eyes light up as they gazed over some new rocks they’d never seen before and were touching them like they’d just found gold!
    It is so sad that we lose excitement as adults in our mundane routines, but when you have children you get a little magic back.

  3. You genuinely want to know about someone else’s bodily functions.
    This is so true and so weird for me (a bit of a prude when it comes to all that!). I now think nothing of asking the nursery if my son has had a wet or soiled nappy. I also like to know at exactly what time it happened and the consistency of it. That way I can think about how he’s feeling, what he needs to eat more of and when it might happen again. EW.

  4. Little things in life become a luxury.
    A hot coffee, a walk in the park – hell a wee or shower without an audience is an absolute LUXURY!
    I cherish the one morning a week I drive alone to work and can blast IGGY loud rather than our Peppa Pig CD (although I normally get half way through the journey listening to Peppa before I realise obvs).

  5. Where you once believed you were fearless, you now find yourself very afraid.
    Pre children I really didn’t think much about my safety at all, it wasn’t something I really worried about. That might just be me or maybe young people in general. I thought nothing of throwing myself out of plane from 15,000 feet skydiving or jumping from a bridge with a bit of bungee and some towels wrapped around my feet.
    Now my stomach turns when I look over the edge of an escalator while shopping at Bluewater! The fearless me has gone and been replaced by a responsible adult that knows I need to keep myself safe so that I can keep my kids safe.

  6. Although you are afraid, you stand up for your kids.
    I have never been the best at standing up for myself; I can sometimes be a bit shy and let people walk all over me… BUT where my kids are concerned; I will f*cking take you down and break you like a f*cking twig... (Oops, I don’t know what came over me) I meant I will speak my mind! :)

  7. You have a new found respect for your parents and love them in a new way.
    I say parents but in my case it is really just my Mom. My mom raised my sister and I pretty much single handedly (with a couple useless father figures involved here and there). When my son was a newborn and I was in the blur of sleep deprivation it occurred to me ‘HOW did my mother do this?’ ‘How, as a 20 year old, poor, single mother? And she had my older sister to think about (just 2 years older).
    Since then I have thought a lot about it and how many times she must have changed my nappy, tried to get me to eat ‘just one little bite’ of a meal she’d prepared and how many sleepless nights I’d given her.

  8. You find that your baby's pain feels much worse than your own.
    There is nothing worse than seeing your child in pain. Whether it be teething, a sickness bug or much more serious it literally hurts my heart to see my children in pain and I feel sick myself. When I catch a cold or inevitably get their sickness bugs the pain is nothing compared to what I feel when I see them sick.

  9. Priorities and standards change.
    Priorities like taking a shower every day and having a spotless house will all go out the window and be replaced with priorities like picking up the right batteries for the bubble machine – cause my 18 month fricking loves it and it’s run out again!

  10. You want to take care of yourself.
    I’ve always been a little bit healthy but terrible at exercising and sticking to diet plans. I used to be the kind of girl that will lose 5lbs for a night out and then put it back on in wine the next week :-/ BUT since I have had children I have been making a conscience effort to eat well and generally look after myself better.
    I am very aware that I need to set a good example for my children and how can I preach about eating their greens and taking their vitamins if I am not? I also want to feel well and be healthy for them, I want to be around as long as possible to see them grow, fall in love and have children one day... 

Like and share if you related to any of these points. 
Share:

1 comment

  1. I absolutely loved this! It's so true. Becoming a mother changed me completely! For the better! Sometimes I miss the goofy outgoing and bubbly me( old me) but looking at my girls, I wouldn't go back! I love being a mother it's as if my life only began the moment the doctor handed my beautiful crying baby to me!

    ReplyDelete

© Emily Norris | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig